Search This Blog

Wednesday, 16 December 2015

Christmas traditions

As you all know every country has different Christmas traditions

In some presents are delivered by Santa, somewhere else the Three Kings (Wise men) and in our part of the world it's little Jesus. As I already wrote about it last year, I'm not going to white a long story about it. I actually love the ideas that you can get personalised letter or video from Santa and I love to do the Elf on the Shelf too, so we are combining Santa and little Jesus together. For our kids it will be one person or two best friends.

Alex and Jessie already got a video from Santa and Alex absolutely loved it, she watched it three times.

For me the Elf on the Shelf tradition will be something like Hide and Seek game with kids. The Elf won't go away to tell Santa who's good or bad. There is no need for this. I just like to make this little surprise for them every morning.

In our home countries we have one more person who gives presents to kids. It's St. Nicholas.
He comes at the beginning of December with Devil and Angel to check on kids. If they were nice, they will get sweets etc, if naughty they get potatoes, stones etc. 

Some families play this good/naughty game with their kids. They tell them if they are naughty the Devil will take them, a lot of kids get scared of them. I didn't want to traumatised my daughter, but I wanted to show her who they are. Jessie doesn't understand it yet, so there was no need for explanation for him, but Alex had to be told. We took them to the city where there was gathering of people to see this St. Nicholas and his helpers. (Kids here don't visit Santa's house).

I showed Alex a few pictures of people in the costumes, so she could be ready a little bit and I told her not to worry. We won't give her even if the Devil wants her and if she doesn't like him, she should scare him away. I told her to say "bu bu bu". While we were driving to the city she was constantly saying Devil bu bu bu, it was so funny. When we arrived there was a lot of people there. Christmas lights already on and a Christmas tree was standing in the middle of the public square. 

There was a tent were the St. Nicholas was sitting with Devil on his left and Angel on right and a few more kids behind singing songs. The Devil was actually a lovely girl and was smiling at our kids. Both of them got a little bag with sweets etc. It was nice. Alex was constantly saying Devil bu bu bu even if she said she liked him (her). I'm glad we took them there.

Some people continue to get their kids to behave the way they want, because Santa or whoever brings the presents will see them and so if they don't do what the parents ask them to do, they won't get anything under the Christmas tree. I just don't feel it's right and when I hear that someone is saying something like this to Alex because she does this or that I tell her that she's nice enough and she'll definitely get something.

What I feel is just exploring the world around, could look to somebody else like bad behaviour. It's just a different point of view. I don't want to change my daughter or son, I want to support them and help them enjoy the life. I want them to feel loved and understood and I don't want them to feel under pressure just to make me happy. They make me happy every minute of every day even if I get irritated or stressed. It's just a feeling and that will pass, but the love I have for them won't change with it. It grows even more as they do, because they can show me that they love me the way I am and I don't need to be someone else. This is called unconditional love and I have a lot of it for my babies. 


No comments:

Post a Comment